Author: Preetam De
Authored by Preetam De, a blogagility.com contributing author.
In the last few days several people have asked me a question about stretched targets on Scrum sprints – not sure if it was a co-incidence or an ongoing vibe. So I will take a moment to explain it.
This article will not revisit the negative consequences in detail of having a stretch target. I will assume the obvious with a quick recap, so I can focus on the solution in detail rather than discussing the problem.
Quick Recap – Why do we think we need it?
- When we feel the need to manage a person rather than the work they do.
- When we focus on Efficiency over Effectiveness.
- When we focus more on tools and practices more than the principles behind them.
- To impress stakeholders they need everything “right now”
- To impress authority by over-estimating our capabilities
- When we assume – “What happened last sprint won’t happen again”
- When we don’t trust a team member and say “We need to keep them busy”
How can we avoid Stretch Targets?
A) By focusing on the flow of work that matches the business need Read the rest of this entry »