Aside Posted on Updated on
**UPDATE 2020 March 24
With recent updates Youtube killed downloads through VLC again. I successfully used the “Airy” product to test downloads. YMMV. I gave up on VLC. Youtube must have sent a threatening letter…
**UPDATE 2019 May 7** This how-to is still viable with VLC for Mac OS X 3.0.6. I had tested with a v2.x of VLC and the process was broken. I updated VLC to the v3.x version and the process does still work as of this update.
MANY thanks to my amazing unnamed friend/co-worker for teaching me about downloading YouTube videos.
Are you a coach struggling with youtube video disorder? You know, that awkward moment when you are trying to start a video in your course (in front of people that paid $$$ to listen to you) only to find out — NO INTERNET — or even worse, the dreaded — EVIL NON-SENSE FIREWALL — attack.
No problem. Just download all your videos to your HD. On Mac OS (the only sensible operating system), it is as simple as using VLC (which you should have already anyway). Try it out. Breathe. Thanks. Wait, something isn’t right.
Well, there is one huge problem.
It is against YouTube terms of service ( illegal?) to download Youtube videos.
Copyright infringement. So don’t do it. BTW, I’m not a lawyer. So don’t take legal advice from me.
I recommend that you pay for YouTube Red service so that you can download the videos and view them offline.
So, yes it sucks that YouTube does not account (read: doesn't give a rip) for us poor souls stuck behind ruthless firewalls and crappy or non-existent internet connections. Oh wait, I take that back. They do care. For $9.99 per month they care. Oh, oh. BTW, there is no official YouTube app for Mac OS. Or even whimdose. Only for mobile device operating systems. DOUBLE SIGH! And companies wonder why people shy away from crappy service and products? Your one size fits all is not my cup of tea! Back to square one.
*These steps are provided for informational purposes only!*
Step to download video codex with VLC for apple Mac.
- Download the VLC app http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
- Install the VLC app
- Find the youtube or other video you want to download. Copy the URL from your browser URL bar.
- Open VLC and go to File->Open Network
- Enter the URL for the video and make sure that the Streaming/Saving box is NOT checked. Click Open
6. *updated* Go to the VLC playlist. Make sure the video is selected (bolded) in order for the media information window to gather the meta information from the video. Select Window > Media Information
7. An information box will pop up. You are looking for the input box titled “Location”
8. Copy and paste the location URL into your browser’s URL bar.
9. When the video loads in your browser, right-click the movie and click to Save As. If the file name doesn’t have an extension, add .mp4. Click Save and you’ll have the file saved on your computer.
Note: you can add another video extension if you have problems with the media player( mp4, mp3 and flv are the most common) format